Question: do you often lie on your stomach reading book/working with computer?

A serious question for those who have Eagle’s and loss of lordotic curve (military neck): how often do you lie on your stomach, especially with elbows supporting your body, reading a book/watching TV/working on a computer/mobile phone etc.?

I am in the process of trying to fix my own postural habits, and after some anatomy studying/careful self observation noticed how much “against” the normal spine alignment such a posture goes - extensor muscles in the back are severely shortened, flexors in front severely extended, thoracic curve totally flattened, muscles attached to the scapulae - overworking, ABS tight to provide flat area for the body’s support, ribcage expanded to make space for organs shifting from the belly area into the chest, neck overextended possibly compressing cervical arteries and veins, head becomes extremely heavy giving lots of stress on all the neck muscles, and what’s also important, resting the jaw on the hands pushes the jaw “endings” into the styloids’ area.

Wondering if that couldn’t be one of the very important contributors to the syndrome.

1 Like

I’ve slept on my stomach for years with my neck bent awkwardly on a pillow. I can feel the elongated styloid behind my tonsil now. Have had neck pains comin and goin since a year. There may be a correlation

I can’t lie on my stomach since I’ve had ES so this isn’t an issue for me, but I’ve been after my son for years for using his computer for hours in that position. I’m showing him your post, vdm, to help him understand how he’s compromising his back, neck & shoulders. Thx for yet another good visual scenario to consider relative to ES.

I also used to sleep mostly on my stomach, and I even don’t know why… habits I suppose. In my case maybe it was also because I used to read/study in bed lying flat, and then I would just push the book away and literally fall asleep without slightest movement. Muscles probably remained stiff in that case all the way through the night.

I wish I could’ve found an xray of someone lying like that and working/reading a book, or at least a good 3D model. Actually I’ve been contemplating buying a flexible medical skeleton model to better understand various nuances of how the body “looks inside” in one or another posture, but a good skeleton model costs a lot! Hundreds to thousands $.

Yep very much possible that this position is a culprit but we won’t know until further studies are done on this matter

That’s exactly what I’m trying to do, after giving up on doctors do it for us…