Super belated update!

Hey y’all. I’m sorry that I dropped off the face of the forum. I know that several of you were worried and reached out to me privately, but I haven’t had the time or energy to update here. I had surgery to place my J-tube in June, and I spent the majority of the summer going to the hospital every 48 hours for IV nutrition. The good news is I am finally running tube feeds at home, as well as IV hydration, on my own (for anyone new, please don’t worry — none of this is a result of eagle syndrome and unless you also have the other conditions I have, it’s not likely to be your fate!).

I do not have much of an update regarding my eagle syndrome. The severe symptoms that I was having the last time I posted have mostly subsided, flaring up a few times a month. I have adapted, learned how to position myself and move my body, learned what combination of heat/ICE/medication helps, and, because I’m not eating much orally, it flares up less frequently due to chewing. I’m still dealing with nearly constant pressure in my face, intermittent blurred vision, jaw pain, intermittent swelling, skull zaps, the feeling of a foreign body in my throat and so on, but I’m not fainting/blacking out/constantly dealing with it all. I’ve also been in therapy twice a week, something that I was hoping would help with my vEDS diagnosis/prognosis, and something that I also think is greatly helping with the eagle syndrome symptoms, and my other chronic illness symptoms in general. I was so hyper-focused on the possibility of dying that I was absolutely worsening my daily symptoms. Now that I’m less anxious on a daily basis, things are better physically as well. Friendly reminder that your mental health and physical health are intrinsically intertwined, and treating one while ignoring the other doesn’t benefit you much! If you can, if it’s accessible, if it’s at all possible – go to therapy to talk about your pain, fear, and suffering. It helps.

I believe I last reported that I had met with Dr. Ellison at Duke, virtually. He had a great and concerning sense of urgency, wanting me in to be seen and scheduled for surgery in no more than a month, after meeting with me once, and looking over my scans. Looking back, that sense of urgency is a large part of why I was so scared and stressed out. Unfortunately and without explanation, he canceled our virtual follow up, sent me a message telling me that I needed to come see him in person because after thinking about it more, he wasn’t convinced I had a Eagle Syndrome at all, thought my symptoms were due to TMJ and the insanely elongated and calcified processes and ligaments in my neck along with my compressed IJVs were incidental findings. I told him I had no problem coming to see him in person, and had obviously planned to regardless, but wanted to know what had changed his mind, and whether he minded me seeking a second opinion first. He never responded to me. He canceled the in person visit that I scheduled. I will never know or understand why this happened and the experience was extremely distressing, confusing, and disappointing. I immediately moved on to schedueling with Dr. Hackman at UNC Chapel Hill. Since booking the appointment, he has requested my imaging and uploaded it to my chart with his own commentary, stating that he is certain it is Eagle Syndrome, based on the imaging and my symptoms, and going into great detail about the findings. Unfortunately, as many of you know, he is booked far out in advance. My appointment was made a couple of months back for December 5. I am very much looking forward to that date. I will be driving from the coast to stay the night at my brothers in Durham the night before, and staying with them again, one more night after the appointment. Amidst all of this, I have gotten an updated CTA of my head and neck. Everything is stable and the same as it was in, what was it, May? that I last posted recent imaging here. I will update again, at the very least, after this appointment in December. I hope everyone is doing well and has an awesome holiday season. Between work, being in palliative care for my vEDS, adapting to tube feeding and so on I just don’t have a lot of energy to frequent web forums. You are all in my thoughts, nonetheless.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you had to go through that. I generally have a tremendous amount of respect for Drs and always give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t understand why they sometimes to what they do, especially when they know you’re in pain and suffering.

At the very least he could have had a message sent to you, but to just cancel and ghost a patient is not only unprofessional, it’s rude.

I’m not doubting Dr Ellisons expertise or skills, but in general, a Dr who is offended by a patient who requests a second opinion is not going to be my first choice.

Dr Hackman on the other hand is both a fantastic surgeon and a great person. From personal experience I can attest to both.

I would make sure to stress your IJV compression with him and ask him if he is / can do anything to fully decompress your IJV, not just removing the styloid. I know he’s becoming more and more aware of the IJVs issue and he might be doing some extra decompression that he hasn’t been doing in the past.

Just make sure to ask him all your questions and what his plan is for you.

4 Likes

I can just confirm it from my personal experience too.

Certainly, nothing is guaranteed as this surgery is quite a serious thing, and success rate isn’t 100%, like in any other medical intervention. Also temporary and sometimes permanent side effects/complications may occur.

But if I needed to choose a surgeon again, Dr Hackman would be one of the top on my list, no doubt.

4 Likes

Thank you for updating us! What a tough time you’re having, but so pleased for you that the therapy has reduced your anxiety enough to ease symptoms a but. So sorry that your appt with Dr Ellison hasn’t worked out, sounds like he maybe got cold feet? And a shame you have to wait so long for Dr Hackman- some members have been able to get on cancellation lists and been seen quicker, but I guess travelling with your tube feeding is probably not easy at short notice?
You’re in out thoughts too :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you! I feel the same. I respect doctors very greatly. My own father was a medical doctor, and I worked side-by-side with medical doctors all throughout my first career. However, that doesn’t negate the fact that I am extremely disappointed in the level of unprofessionalism and thoughtlessness displayed in this case. All he had to do was send me a message, which he had been doing prior to canceling, explaining why he didn’t want to move forward. I will never understand why he ghosted me, but I am happy to be moving on. I hear only great things about Dr. Hackman and I am very hopeful.

3 Likes

I think it’s very possible that he got cold feet as he dug deeper into my history, presentation, and imaging. He would not be the first. Before I had my tube placed, I had surgery scheduled with a different surgeon. At my preop appointment, that surgery was canceled because the team did not feel well enough equipped to deal with my potential complications associated with vEDS. It was disappointing, but made sense, and I appreciated the transparency. I was scheduled with a new surgeon at a higher level of care hospital the next week. I just wish he had told me what happened! Either way, I’m very hopeful about my appointment with Dr. Hackman. Based on everything over here, he would be my first choice anyway.

2 Likes

What a terrible experience you’ve been through. I am so sorry. My husband was able to get a cancellation appointment with Dr. Hackman for me… That was two months earlier than what is on the schedule. So if you have the energy and can have an advocate do it for you, I would call them.

3 Likes

Great to read an update from you @slekeille. I’m so glad you’ve got your symptoms better managed & hope Dr. Hackman is your last stop on this journey for recovery from your ES symptoms. I also hope you’re able to find ways to manage the symptoms that are left over (but I also hope no symptoms are left once you’ve healed from your styloidectomies). :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Your support these past few months has meant a lot to me.

2 Likes