Surgery complete!

So happy for you that everything went so well!

Lookin’ GREAT!! I can’t believe how little swelling you have in your neck so far! That incision will be invisible in another 2-3 months & the tooth pain is trigeminal nerve & should subside in a few weeks. :partying_face:

1 Like

Yes, totally agree, Dr. Hepworth and team are amazing! I cannot recommend them enough. I think we were there the same day, Wed. March 9. My daughter has a go to vein and made sure they knew it. She’s had issues in the past with folks that don’t listen and try lots. The nerve monitoring was pretty cool.

Hope you have a speedy recovery with great relief and success!

3 Likes

It does look good already! :grinning:

1 Like

CONGRATS hyperichard! :hugs: :rainbow: :tada: :confetti_ball:Not uncommon for the jaw and teeth to kick up, mine did. You look so well and I cannot believe yo have hardly any swelling/ Dont over do it…let your body heal.

2 Likes

Anyone interested in my surgical procedure report here it is!
My hyoid was attached to my styloid, which they say is pretty odd!

3 Likes

Sounds like a straightforward surgery, hyoerichard! I’m glad this one is behind you & am hopeful you won’t need a second one for the other side. :pray:t3:

1 Like

I hope so! I will say the left side is flaring up pretty bad right now, my head feels like it’s turnt to the right super bad atm, but I’m trusting the process and will be getting massages to try and relax all the new changes in my head.

1 Like

Interesting that it had pulled your hyoid bone up 2cms higher, will have to remember that it’s possible with complete calcification…
Hope you’re healing well, and that the other side settles down… :pray:

1 Like

I’d speculate that during the surgery your neck was extended and rotated, so there might be some spinal (cervical) nerve irritation too, especially if you had any preexisting cervical disc problems.

1 Like

Sadly, in bilateral cases, it seems pretty often like the second side needs to be removed, too, for the best outcome. The symptoms from my remaining styloid really started flaring up abt 3-4 weeks after my first surgery. It was a long haul waiting for the second surgery but what a relief after I had it!!

1 Like

A little over a month and a half now. Unfortunately, my pain has gotten much worse because of my left side. However I just had an appointment with Dr. Hepworth and he is going to remove my left on August 17th!

3 Likes

Glad surgery went well for you. I’m seeing Dr. Hepworth as well but it’s not going as smoothly as I had hoped.

awe ): Why not if you dont mind me asking?

It started off well and I had high hopes based on all of the experiences here. I met with his NP and she seemed great. It took awhile to get in but I kind of expected that. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Hepworth a few months out and they canceled on me the week of the appointment. He was called into surgery which I understand that happens but it was expensive to change my travel plans for the next week. I met with Dr. Hepworth the following week and they told me they couldn’t find my scans so basically I flew out there for nothing. He told me if they found them he would review them and get back to me and that I should email him directly with any questions. I told them I was happy send them the scans or even have new scans done if needed. I emailed to check on the scans and with a few follow-up questions and haven’t heard anything back. It has been a few weeks now. I just wish they would have told me about the scans before I went out there so our appointment could have been productive. Dr. Hepworth said he wanted to remove my right styloid when his NP had said the left but since he hasn’t been able to review the scans I don’t really know how that decision was made. My compression is in the left but I definitely have some Vagus nerve symptoms. My surgery isn’t scheduled until September so there’s plenty of time to get things sorted out and since everyone else has had such a great experience with Dr. Hepworth I’m sure it will. If possible I’d really like to get it bumped up to the summer so that my family can come. It’s just frustrating that they haven’t responded. I feel like I’ve been down this road many times with different doctors.

I would just call the nurse station tbh and ask about the scans. Ive found since they are so busy people can get lost in their minds. So just call them and remind them. The number 4 on the call line is always very helpful!

1 Like

Hi stuuke,

As @hyperichard said, being pro-active will help you get answers more quickly. Being patient is the polite way to go, but in this case where there’ve already been some mishaps, I would be calling several times a week till I got the answers, if it was me.

I also recommend that when you talk to them, ask to be put on a surgical cancellation list. People cancel their surgeries w/ some frequency so letting the ofc know you’d prefer a summer surgery might be very helpful.

I’ve let them know multiple times I want to be on the cancellation list. That’s why I’m hoping to get these appointments wrapped up as soon as possible so I’m ready to go with any notice they give me.

Good work! I’m glad you’re on top of all this. I hope you get the answers you’re waiting for ASAP.

I hope that you can get this sorted out soon, very frustrating, but it sounds as if Dr Hepworth is worth waiting for…

1 Like