Trigeminal nerve confusion

Hi everyone
I seem to of got myself confused. A lot of my sysymptoms are numbness in my face. The trigeminal nerve has 3 branches. V1 v2 v3. My forgead and scalp feel numbness a lot. Can eagles affect the trigeminal nerve and all its branches? (V1 v2 v3)?? Grateful as always :pray:

Yes, it can affect all 3 branches, I had pain in all those areas, boring/ pressure sensation and some tingling/ numbness in some areas. The facial nerve is commonly affected too, and has similar pathways. @Isaiah_40_31 has suggested the Two Minute Neuroscience videos on YouTube for the cranial nerves for good info.

3 Likes

Hi @Jules thank you. I saw those videos…very informative…i think i was confused as i read info that it does not affect trigeminal…im glad to hear it does (as glad as you can be regarding this) my ct scan is 11th may. Im thinking maybe my eyes are also affected by the v1 of the trigeminal nerve as my eye can feel numb and the socket numb and my eyelid and forehead. The symptom i dont understand is my eyes feeling like they are crossed and like im trying to pull the muscles more central. My eye muscles hurt and i just can’t focus.

1 Like

The occulomotor nerve innervates the eye muscles, along with another couple of nerves, but not sure where they exit the skull. I’ve seen research papers which mention that the Trigeminal nerve is affected by ES…
Pressure on part of the carotid artery can cause eye pain, but I don’t know if that can affect the muscles…
Some members have had the Facial nerve stretched and irritated during surgery, and that can affect the eyelid so they’re not able to close their eye properly too.

3 Likes

I’ve read that the occipital and sub occipital muscles affect the eyes and ES affects neck affects these muscles etc. my eyesight varies from year to year on testing and my astigmatism goes and comes back but I feel it’s affected hour by hour too. Sore eyes, tired eyes, muscles affecting lacrimal glands? All connected I feel.

2 Likes

@Mcwelly hi :wave: thank you. Have u had surgery?

Hi - haha! No, I am caught up and trapped in a labyrinthine of long waits, misdiagnoses, other confounding stuff etc so passing the buck is my usual now!

2 Likes

@Mcwelly where are you based?

Dorset, UK X

@Mcwelly im in wiltshire xx

Got of luck!! I’m chatting to someone in Berkshire who is also up against it!

I’ve had a lot of support on here and without it, would have caved in.

Seems my expensive scans didn’t report on what they were supposed to and the consultant didn’t even put ES in his request! I’m being passed from pillar to post and no one is taking accountability! I have been told I have a massively dilated IJV - funny that was missed too!

Next step, litigation sadly before I have an aneurysm. Let me know how you get on? Xx

3 Likes

@Jules - I’ve made an appt to see Mr Axon in early May, I will take all my scans with me :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I hope that he’ll help you :pray: :hugs:

1 Like

@Mcwelly @Jules
Hi :wave: i hope Mr Axon helps you too. Im feeling so so low. I saw a private neuro (facial pain expert) who said i thjnk thats eagles! Great! My gp tried referring me to his nhx clinic who said i was too far out of area…my gp has tried but they re bound referall saying go more local…my symptoms are absolutely awful and i pressed something at the back of mh throat by tonsils and now my swallowing issues are bad and my neck and tongue numbness worse. I feel absolutely terrified at my vision and eye pain/pressure. My normal fighting personality has left me and i just feel so sad. So lost. So alone

@JoJomoo @Mcwelly I chat to both of you outside of this chat… (Jo I’m the Berkshire lady)! We should form a group. We seem to all be having different challenges!!

3 Likes

@BabzieAM @Mcwelly im up for that Barb.

@JoJomoo - What you poked in your throat was possibly your styloid & since it ramped up your symptoms, that can be seen as good news as @Jules said to @BabzieAM, in another post. The symptoms flare could be confirmation that it’s your styloid causing your symptoms.

2 Likes

Good idea x

1 Like

@Isaiah_40_31 Thank you for replying and makes perfect sense. I wake up in the mornings with what feels like completely blocked nose. Like my sinus doesnt work at all. Almost like numb from going yo the dentist abd getting a locsl anesthetic feeling…I get up. It clears and then later on i have the opposite and dripping nose. Does this sound like a normal es symptom? :thinking:

Certainly members have had sinus issues with ES…

1 Like