Wooshing sound in ear, in succession with pulse

Yes, I had the swooshing until the corrective surgery. It's annoying and painfull, unfortunately mine almost always happened when I was trying to lay down to rest. Have you considered your options? Call me if you want to talk about the surgery. 352-■■■■■■■■ Kevin

LOL kimm, I feel like I can totally give myself a makeshift sleeper hold just by tilting my head far back and to the left or right, vision starts to tunnel and I get wobbly. I guess I do have vascular ES, always wondered. I have had surgery before kevin on left side although the wooshing is primarily a right side issue now, I do still have the ability to make myself pass out by tilting my head back and to either side like kimmie was saying.

I have had the same thing when I lay down in my ear I get a heartbeat on top of tinnitus and a clogged type feeling in my ear similar to when you have a cold and your ears get stuffy. It also feels like my voice echoes in my head.

I had this before my surgery to remove the Eagle's and now, I still have it. Also, still have occasional migraines. Have pains in both sides of my neck. Sharp pains in my right ear. The "side affects" of the bones rubbing on the arteries and nerves are now because of damage caused by the bones. I don't think it is going to go away. I also think my vagus nerve was damaged because I have all sorts of symptoms in the parts of the body controlled by that nerve. Just have to find a neurologist who won't think I am a hypochondriac. Went to one a couple of months ago who looked me in the eye and said "I don't think you even had Eagle's syndrome. I don't think there is such a thing!" WOW. He is ignorant. Needless to say, I am looking for another neurologist! lol.

Tiger- What an idiotic Dr!!! We all have been to those Drs. Sometimes you just can’t reason with stupid!
Before surgery I would have swishing noise frequently laying down and sometimes sitting up.
After having left styloidectomy, The swishing improved but occasionally I do get the swishing. Overall, my left side of body feels normal but my right side of body flares up. (From head to toe)

Amy, I couldn't believe this dr was saying he didn't think I even had Eagles. I told him to ask the surgeon who removed them! Watch the video the surgeon made of my operation. I had about 9 surgical residents come to my hospital room and most of them had little flashlights...... they wanted to see the surgical sight!!! lol. I was famous for 15 minutes lol.

My styloids were about 3 1/2 inches long. I had them removed intraorally. Right one, first and then left one about 6 weeks later. I had gone to 3 drs who told me there was nothing wrong with me because they ordered the wrong tests and those tests came back "negative" and so they decided there was nothing wrong. My primary physician is the one who ordered a simple ct scan and throat x-ray and then knew enough to refer me to an ENT who then found a surgeon to operate on me. Thank goodness. I don't know where I would be now if the bones had not been removed. They don't go away on their own, they just keep getting longer.

I get the same symptoms, now, that you do, with my ears. I can hear my heart beating in my ears sometimes! I always have ringing and sometimes it is so loud I can't understand what people are saying! Have to think that there is a neurologist who will be intelligent and know there is something wrong and help me!

Can I just ask about the styloids getting longer? I'm not getting symptoms as bad as some of you have but it really worries me that they might keep growing- I asked my consultant and he just said it's something you're born with and they don't grow any more, but obviously most Dr.s don't know much about eagles, so I don't trust what he says! Do most people's keep growing?

tiger said:

Amy, I couldn't believe this dr was saying he didn't think I even had Eagles. I told him to ask the surgeon who removed them! Watch the video the surgeon made of my operation. I had about 9 surgical residents come to my hospital room and most of them had little flashlights...... they wanted to see the surgical sight!!! lol. I was famous for 15 minutes lol.

My styloids were about 3 1/2 inches long. I had them removed intraorally. Right one, first and then left one about 6 weeks later. I had gone to 3 drs who told me there was nothing wrong with me because they ordered the wrong tests and those tests came back "negative" and so they decided there was nothing wrong. My primary physician is the one who ordered a simple ct scan and throat x-ray and then knew enough to refer me to an ENT who then found a surgeon to operate on me. Thank goodness. I don't know where I would be now if the bones had not been removed. They don't go away on their own, they just keep getting longer.

I get the same symptoms, now, that you do, with my ears. I can hear my heart beating in my ears sometimes! I always have ringing and sometimes it is so loud I can't understand what people are saying! Have to think that there is a neurologist who will be intelligent and know there is something wrong and help me!

Jules,

Yes, absolutely styloids can grow. That doctor doesn't know much about Eagles and you can't trust what he says. I don't know if most people's styloids grow, but many if not all of us on this forum have had styloids that grew.

Doctors are fools-I've met my share. Styloids aren't bone anyway. Maybe the doctor is that right bones don't grow. its cartilage that get injured in some way and the elongation and ossification is some peoples bodies way of healing the injured or snaped off styloids. We are just different and end up with this syndrome. If you look at my left one it was broken twice in 2 places and looks like the bone in a finger with knots where it healed that's why it became 6.5 cm long. Its all removed now!

One question I have for all out there. Have we all had some sort of head injury, car accident, blow to the side of the head. Back in 1990 when I was look for a doc to deal with my right one I read about a man who got hit in the head with a softball and year later he had ES. I'm just checking to see if there is any common beginning.

I had an accident nearly 20 years ago with quite a bad whiplash injury; I was wondering if maybe this is linked? My neck pain is getting a lot worse now and is definitely linked to the eagles pain. Having learnt so much from this site I realise a lot of the symptoms I've had on and off for years- earache, jaw pain, feeling of blocked ears, are probably down to eagles.

It'd be really interesting to see how many people have something similar. I have noticed reading quite a few posts how many people have neck probs, and the link with having tonsillectomies is well known.

Thanks for replying.

Jules

shaw said:

Doctors are fools-I've met my share. Styloids aren't bone anyway. Maybe the doctor is that right bones don't grow. its cartilage that get injured in some way and the elongation and ossification is some peoples bodies way of healing the injured or snaped off styloids. We are just different and end up with this syndrome. If you look at my left one it was broken twice in 2 places and looks like the bone in a finger with knots where it healed that's why it became 6.5 cm long. Its all removed now!

One question I have for all out there. Have we all had some sort of head injury, car accident, blow to the side of the head. Back in 1990 when I was look for a doc to deal with my right one I read about a man who got hit in the head with a softball and year later he had ES. I'm just checking to see if there is any common beginning.

I had whiplash from car accidents about 20 years ago. When all my symptoms showed up was after a fall down the stairs. It was not maybe a month afterwards I was in the ER complaining of horrible pain and other symptoms. That was back in 09/2008. I believe that it does not take much for the thin long ligament to become calcified.

I myself have had at least 1 concussion diagnosed (hit with a knee right in the back of the head behind my ear.) And once in highschool I was kindly picked up against a wall and dropped onto concrete, the first thing that hit was the back of my head near the base of my skull...pretty sure it was a concussion but since it was highschool and in a locker room, I was tough about it so to not be made fun of.... ahhh memories.

Hi everyone. I have this. heartbeat in my left ear. Very nevrous. Wondering whAt exactly is causing. Meeting with cognetti in 2 weeks. Ive had scary symptoms. This is horrible :(. Im praying the surgery will help. Even tho im terrified of surgey

It’s called pulsatile tinnitus- I had it & it’s almost gone after surgery. It can be caused by the styloids compressing a vein, but there is sometimes no known cause.
I hope that you’re able to have surgery soon, & thinking of you :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Jules! I scheduled surgery finally with Dr Cognetti for June 1st. I really hope this will help me. He said he didnt think the heartbeat in my ear had to do with eagles. So i was confused he said that as the symptom came when all eagles symptoms began. I asked him to do that side first but he said no he wants to do the right side first bc i have more pain on the right side. The right side is the severe stabbing pain and i guess he felt it when he stuck his hand in my throat. Idk. I am hoping this helps. And i hope this resolves symptoms and i dont have something else wrong. The facial tingly and spasms are what scares me too. I keep thinking i have MS or something. But nerologist already saw me. So hoping this works. I am terrified and relieved at the same time. Dr cognetti said i only need 1 week from work off? But i feel i need more time. I had 2 weeks just for my tonsils. Hope u all are well!

That’s great that you have a date for surgery, & not too long to wait!
I had the tingly feelings & numbness at times along my jaw which was worsening before surgery- that’s gone now. I know how scary that can be, but I’m sure surgery will help you. I have a little numbness around my ear from the surgery, but that’s fine. Hopefully the stabbing pain will go too after surgery.
I also had the whooshing sound (pulsatile tinnitus) which improved loads after surgery- some doctors don’t always understand the more unusual ES symptoms, so bear that in mind, & also they are generally wary of promising any improvements with surgery as obviously no-one can promise what will go away. I was lucky that my doctor was researching pulsatile tinnitus, so me having that symptom really got his attention!
Read up as much as you can about surgery, & what to expect afterwards, & hopefully that will reassure you- you have a very experienced surgeon, so that should help with your anxiety.
I’ll be praying for you! :hugs: :pray:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am getting prepared. Have to call the hotel today and call my insurance company to notify them of leave from work. Dr Cognetti said how dangerously close they are to my spine. I never heard that before do you know what that means? Interesting. Thanks for all your help. I hope you are doing well! :heart:️:pray:t2:

I would imagine that the styloid processes have grown backwards perhaps towards the vertebral processes? There have been a few members who’ve had symptoms because the styloids have compressed blood vessels and/ or nerves between them & the C1 processes.
Have you seen the surgery shopping list Seamom posted a while back? It’ll give you a few ideas about whet to get ready!
Are you far from Dr Cognetti? Will you fly or drive? And will you have someone to be with you & look after you afterwards?

Thanks Jules! I will try to find that post :slight_smile: It is a 4hour drive but took us 5 hours bc of traffic to get to Cognetti. I am going to call to book a hotel for a week until the post op apt. Then hopefully will be okay to go home. I just hope there are no complications bc noone in my state has any clue about ES. My husbands going to come with me. He is self employed so im thankful he can come but he will take a week and then will need to go back to work right after. I had my tonsils out at 15 and thought i was fine and running around like normal and 2 weeks after surgery the wound opened up and blood came gushing out. So im a little worried i hope theres no complications like that. But she told me the wound is external and will be closed so as long as i dont move around or lift anything i should be okay. And yes it sounds like they said my ligaments calcified from under jaw going upwards. So im worried about the spine thing. Atleast dr cognetti offered me some help! Thank u all for this site. Its been very helpful and life saving for us who couldnt fine help! :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

I’m not sure that I’d have wanted to go back to work after a week- I think a few people have gone back within a week or 2 to desk jobs, you might have to wait & see…
Glad you can stay close to Dr Cognetti after the op!
Here’s the link: Surgery shopping list

2 Likes