X-Ray Images

Hello people,

I hope every one is coping well and staying safe. About a month ago I requested dental X-Ray images I had done at hospital in order to review them for myself and try to spot the styloids. They have just arrived but I am unsure as to whether these X-Rays have even captured the right area to get a look at them. I wondered if anyone else can have a look and let me know if they see anything!
All the best as always,

T

Panoramic x-rays can often show the styloid processes- I was diagnosed this way- but I can’t see any sign of enlarged styloids in yours. That’s not to say you don’t have ES- it may not be quite wide enough to show them, or they could be at a funny angle. A CT is best for diagnosing ES, so if you’re able to get one when things have calmed down a bit that would be best.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful! Keep safe too…

I had hoped these images would confirm ES as it would be a relief to know the pain isn’t attributed to anything serious. It is my opinion that these shots aren’t quite wide enough To show the styloids; I can’t even see my jaw joint on here or am I mistaken? I may be wrong, but I recall from other X-Ray images I have seen on here which show calcified styloids they appear quite near to the jaw joint which can’t be seen here. I will push for a CT when the virus buggers off! Thank you!

They usually show the joint, yes, your pic could potentially still be wide enough to show a styloid if it was quite angled, but I don’t think that it’s good enough to definitely rule out ES.

Agree that these are not wide enough in scope to see styloid. Sorry!

1 Like

Hi onelesstyloid,

Are you resolved that these images rule out eagle syndrome? The other X Rays I have seen on the site show clear borders of the mandible, jaw joint and ear canal; mine appears too zoomed in to see any of these structures. I have compared my pictures to others posted on the various forums on here that show the styloids, they tend to begin just behind the jaw joint and head downwards towards the mouth. This simply isn’t shown on these images unless I am missing something?? This leads me to think the images are not wide enough. I am not saying you’re wrong or I am right, the reality is I just don’t know what to think after years of pain!! I have had many ES symptoms since a facial injury and can even feel a bone pushing through at the corner of my mandible when chewing, so would be surprised if something else was the matter. What do you think? May I ask how were you diagnosed? Thanks!
T

I’m so sorry – I inserted a very important typo in my last message!!! I do not believe this is a wide enough view to see the styloids and to make a decision either way about ES diagnosis. As others have said, you really want a neck CT, which is the best way to make the diagnosis or rule it out. Some people get lucky and can see enough on the dental panoramic, but this is not the purpose of these dental images so it is the luck of the draw. Also, dental panoramics show only one plane. A CT can be viewed in multiple different ways to provide a more comprehensive picture of the styloids and related structures. I apologize again for my last note.

2 Likes

Really no need to apologise! I am glad you agree that the image is not wide enough as that offers some hope that this pain will resolve! However, I have to remind myself that just because I want something to be true, does not make it so. Thanks for all the info!

Hi TChitty,

I’m entering this conversation late, but agree w/ everyone. The x-ray doesn’t cover a wide enough area to see the styloids. The CT scan should cover the area from your hyoid bone to skull base. When you get it done, ask if they can include some 3D images. If they will, you’ll have a much easier time seeing what the radiologist sees via the slices. It will save you time so you don’t have to put your CT scan through a computer program that will produce a 3D image for you.

1 Like

Hey Isaiah,
I’m relieved you agree. I have pushed for a CT in the past but have been met with reluctance because of my age. I will definitely keep trying and keep in mind your advice about 3D images. Thank you!!

2 Likes

Hi TChitty,

ES is not age selective. That would be an argument based in ignorance by the medical profession. FYI, our youngest forum member to have ES was 12 years old. His mother represented him here. We’ve also had at least one other teenager & several people in their early 20s who were diagnosed w/ ES & had surgery to correct the problem. I hope you’re able to get a CT scan soon.

2 Likes

I’m 72 and had CT with contrast. I don’t know how old you are, but The Dr called me immediately after CT scan with contrast and confirmed Eagle with kinking of artery. Don’t know if they saw jugular or it’s same thing. Try to get the CT with contrast. They told me I needed blood work first to check kidney function.