X Ray viewing help

Hello everyone. I know that the feedback I receive is not a medical opinion. However, I will be grateful for any help viewing my images. I see the styloids on the panoramic, but I am not sure if they are a normal length. I think I may also see a calcified stylohyoid ligament on the panoramic. My history is somewhat unusual for this forum in that my symptoms began after a fall where I landed with much of my body weight coming down on my neck/side of my head. I have lost 15 pounds or so since the fall, due to dysphagia/globus/choking, and only weighed about 135 to begin with. I also have other symptoms including facial numbness, tinnitus, visual symptoms, tingling in my left fingers and right pinky. Edit to add: You can see both styloids if you click on the image. Thank you for the help!!

Hi viv,
like you say, we’re not doctors here, so can’t give you a medical opinion. It’s quite hard to tell much from either of the x-rays; a CT scan is the best way to see the styloids & any calcified ligaments. You can see the styloid process in the left side of this x-ray, but that’s about all, you can’t really tell the length.
Your symptoms are typical ES symptoms though- with the globus sensation, I had facial numbness & others have too, & tinnitus is quite common. The tingling in your fingers could be more from nerves being compressed by the spine instead of styloid compression (I’ve had that from a disc problem), so it might be an idea to see if you can have an MRI to look for any discs bulging etc.?)
Any sort of neck trauma can be enough to either damage the styloid processes & cause inflammation, or cause inflammation in it’s own right, that’s one of the suggested causes of ES, so not unusual- we’ve had quite a few members who have had problems after falls or whiplash injuries.
Sorry we can’t be more helpful!

1 Like

IMG_4863
I’m not sure what “normal” length styloids look like, but here is my pan X-ray

The visible styloid looks like its got quite a curve to it. Length isn’t the only factor in causing ES symptoms, excessively thick styloids and the angle at which they grow can also cause problems. This is not to say that yours is causing your symptoms. As Jules said, a CT scan will be a much better diagnostic tool. If you opt for a CT scan make sure to request that it’s for the purpose of diagnosing ES.

Thank you! It is so hard to tell, even the research studies vary.

Thank you for the help. The other styloid shows when you click on the image, and it is thicker and also angled.

Calicified stylohyoid ligaments, even in the absence of elongated styloids, still constitutes ES. Many people have both. If the ligaments have any calcification, that will also show up on a CT scan.
My ligaments were partially calcified but my styloids were long & were the source of my symptoms.