Bilateral Intraoral post op 1 day

Hi guys! I got it done. We did bilateral intraoral surgery yesterday at 9:45 am. Went home by 1:30pm. 1 day surgery which seems crazy. I had slightly elongated styloid process and calcification of ligaments on both sides. All was taken out. He released the Ligaments and shortened the SP. I am on a low dose narco and antibiotic but no steroids and my swelling is rapidly increasing. Husband called about getting some but they didn’t call back and now it’s the weekend. So hopefully ice and rest will get me through. I am not feeling horrible but have also had some huge surgeries (abdominal wall reconstruction and hernias) in the past so I guess I’m comparing them. I also know it will probably get worse before it gets better so I am preparing myself for that.
So far the worst pain is the swelling around throat and jaw and the incisions in my mouth. Got a bit of headache today and sleeping as I can. Cold smoothies are all I can handle so far. About to try a slightly warm blended soup because I am sick of sweet lol This forum has helped me so much that I plan to be back and keep updates going for those that were like me and desperately seeking answers. Wish me luck. My husband and little girl have been very patient so far. It’s only been 1 day.

4 Likes

Pleased that you’ve has your surgery, & thanks for letting us know how you are! Just a little worried for you about the swelling…keep up with the icing, sip iced water too if it’s not too painful, & don’t hesitate to go to the ER if it does swell alot.
Hope you heal well, hugs & prayers for you :bouquet: :hugs: :pray:

3 Likes

I just had my pharmacist tell me I can take my Celebrex too (anti inflammatory) so I started that today. It should help swelling. Thanks for the reply. I will keep updating.

3 Likes

I’m so excited that you’re done & doing as well as possible! It’s better to heal at home so it’s great you were able to come home yesterday!

Jules suggestions are great! Taking your pain meds on schedule night & day will also be super helpful.

I’ll be praying for you to have a quick recovery! :hugs:

3 Likes

Hi,
Great news, may I ask how long your styloids were? nmI have one that is 3 cm and a lot of symptoms. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you. I had bilateral and both were near 3cm which is considered short to some but angle and Frame/neck size plays a big role, also I had calcification on ligaments on both sides as well which will cause same symptoms. My ENT took the calcification off ligaments (released them) and shortened my styloid process. I am on day 4 post op. Still lots of pain but that’s to be expected and I am hopeful. I hope you can find relief and a good doctor. This page has been very helpful to me along the way. I’ve had pain for years and I am 36yo with a small daughter to care for so getting better is extremely important to me.

2 Likes

Thank you my right one is 3cm and my left is 2.75, i dont see my ENT until Oct 15, I was just wondering if maybe he might cut mine too at that length, it gave me gastroparesis for 7 years and did he know the ligaments were calcified before he did the surgery, I think mine be too, however my CTV did not show but a mild pressure on the jugglar, but i think mine involves the vagas nerve. My doctor is Hepworth in Denver. I had whiplash really bad in 1993 and was choked in 1995 and have problems with calcium even a salivary stone big as a golf ball, and my genes show I have the genes for eagles. I am anxious to find out if Dr Hepworth will do surger on mine, I also have very blurry vision. Thank you again.

1 Like

Hi Greatpersun.

The styloid angle, thickness, if it is twisted or very pointed that can cause symptoms, as well as length. The stylohyoid ligaments can also calcify apart from the styloid process & that can also cause ES symptoms.

The vagus nerve is very often affected by elongated styloids &/or calcified s-h ligaments. Calcified ligaments will show on your CT scan & may be part of your elongated styloid or be separate & extend toward your hyoid bone. It does sound like you have some IJV compression based on some of your symptoms.

I expect Dr. Hepworth will be willing to help you. Both of your styloids are longer than normal even if they aren’t extremely long.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve been through a lot. I also had a couple bad car accidents earlier in life. I agree with Isaiah and if your doctor doesn’t want to help a second opinion would be my next go to. Once again this forum has been the most accurate info I have gotten on this syndrome. Who knows better than the ones that lived it!? I truly hope you can get some help and relief.

Sending Positivity :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for your help. Hugs

1 Like

Thank you for your information and help. Hugs

Just interested in what you said about having the genes for Eagles? Have you been tested, or family members had ES? We’ve noticed on here a possible family link, but not seen any research articles on that…

2 Likes

I had a selfdecode done on my 23and me dna testing and when I put in Eagles syndrome I have these genes show up

AURKBPS1 (Aurora kinase B pseudogene 1) Ossification Of The Posterior Longitudinal Ligament Of The Spine

CCDC91 Ossification Of The Posterior Longitudinal Ligament Of The Spine
There are the two genes of the 6 that are associated with Eagle Syndrome.
I believe my mother also had eagle syndrome but was never checked for it, strokes and heart attacks and bumps on both sides of her neck near the collar bone on the front of neck. She complained about her neck hurting all the time.

1 Like

It does sound like you could have a genetic predisposition though the bumps near your mother’s collarbones wouldn’t have been related to ES because it’s strictly between the skull base & hyoid bone (which sits at the junction of your chin & neck), but the neck pain could certainly have been related. Any genetic results that demonstrate your body has a tendency toward laying down excess calcium could be telltale for the potential for any sort of ossification problem in your body.

I have questioned whether or not my father might have had it because had a really weird heart problem toward the end of his life for which many cardiology appts, tests & wearing a halter monitor for a month produced no diagnosis. It wasn’t till after he died that it struck me his heart issues could have been caused by his vagus nerve being irritated (it was never checked), & possibly IJV compression. That of course turned my mind straight away to ES.

1 Like

That’s really interesting, thanks!

1 Like