Eagle for me

I need help, i having the worst days now. My ear hurtas, my mouth and back head too. Can’t handle noise. I just can’t make it no more. Can’t manage pain :frowning_with_open_mouth: What can I do ?

I am so sorry to hear you’re having such painful symptoms @analiadelcas! Have you been able to find a doctor who will do surgery to remove your styloid processes? That would be the best way to end the pain, but recovery after surgery can take awhile.

If surgery is not an option for you, you can ask your primary care doctor for a prescription for nerve pain medication such as Gabapentin, Amitriptyline or Carbamazepine. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to start working, but something like that can be very helpful until you have surgery & even afterward if the pain is slow to go away.

If it doesn’t hurt for you to put an earplug in your ear(s) to soften the sounds that you hear, then that would be something to try. Cotton might also work.

Some people have found that icing their necks (using a gel ice pack works best because it conforms to the shape of your neck) helps reduce pain for awhile & others have found using heat helps more. If you ice your neck, only do it for 15 min. then no ice for at least 45 min. Also, put a thin towel or washcloth between your skin and the ice pack.

You can try sleeping w/ your head elevated at night using several bed pillows or a wedge shaped pillow w/ bed pillows on it to help it be more comfortable.

I’m sorry we don’t have a doctor listed for your country. I will try to get the link for the Hispanic ES forum & will send it to you if I get it. I will also pray that your pain will ease up & that you will find a doctor to help you.

:hugs:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer. Today I got cortisone’s shots with anestesia around my ear.
Hurts and i don’t know if doctors really care here. I can have acces for Spain doctors too cause I can go there because I am a citizen. So if there are more doctors there and you can help I will really appreciate it.
Much hugs
Ana

2 Likes

So sorry that you are in so much pain- I hope that the cortisone shots help you, and it’s worth trying all the tips that @Isaiah_40_31 mentions. Unfortunately the only doctor that we have listed for Spain hasn’t had great success with surgery.
If possible in your country it might be worth trying to see a skull base surgeon/ Otolaryngologist, or a head & neck cancer surgeon, as they operate in the area of the styloids & quite often remove styloids for better access, so it’s not such a scary surgery for them to do. We suggest that members print off some research papers to take to appointments with them so that doctors can see Eagles Syndrome is real and that surgery helps- I don’t know if it would be possible for you get to a research paper translated?
Sending you a hug :hugs:

2 Likes

Jules has given you very good advice @analiadelcas. I hope you’re able to find someone close to where you live now so you don’t need to travel far away. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like