Got my right styloidectomy on 2/9/21

Been over 2 years since I have been on here…Both my parents died my dad on February 19,2019 and then my mom on February 9th, 2020… On 2/9/2021 On the one year anniversary of my moms death I had my right styloidectomy…Still have the drain in and in a lot of pain but I know the pain and symptoms will decrease with time like the left side.

1 Like

So sorry that you’re having to have surgery without your parents for support, must be really hard…hope that you have some help, especially if you have a little one to look after? I hope that you heal quickly & can get some rest, I guess you know what to expect if you’ve had surgery before, but there’s lots of stories of members’ experiences on here if you do need any info. Did you have surgery with the same doctor? When you’re feeling better if it’s not someone on our list then it would be great if you could let us know their name?
Sending you a gentle hug, & will pray that the surgery’s successful :pray: :bouquet: :hugs:

1 Like

@D907 -

WOW! You’ve had a lot on your plate. How hard to have suffered so much loss so close together. I also lost my parents close together but I was 60 not 29. Getting your second styloidectomy on the anniversary of your mother’s death will allow you to move forward with healing both physical & emotional.

Your incision looks really good. I so hope will pray your recovery is smooth & steady. I also hope you have someone to help you & your child during your recovery. This surgery is a bit too “big” to go it alone. Also I love the color of your hair! I always wanted red hair but was blessed to be a blonde until about college when it turned brown…now I’m going gray. Ah…the cycles of life!

Jules got the jump on me, I was also going to ask the name of your surgeon. We don’t have anyone from your state & would love to add a name.

1 Like

Yes same doctor His name is Dr.Endres! And my little sister is taking care of my son and my best friend drove me and stayed with me the first 24 hours! And thank you…

2 Likes

My hair is actually strawberry blonde its just greasy and had blood in it lok…and yes I believe everything happens for a reason and I think they were both there watching over me…

1 Like

Thank you, he is on our list…take care x

1 Like

D907,
Strawberry blonde is a great color. I thought my daughter would have that color of hair, but she ended up just being blonde. There are a fair number of redheads in my family on my husband’s side.

Thank you for confirming your doctor’s name. Glad you had the help you needed immediately post op. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Got my drain out today! Man does that shit hurt coming out but I feel so much more free!

Right!!! That is not fun but it feels MUCH better after that comes out. Hang in there, you are one tough cookie and you are over qualified to make it through all of this :blush: sending you a beautiful and comforting day :two_hearts: :sunflower:

2 Likes

Yes, it wasn’t good having the drain out, but great when it was gone, I couldn’t sleep at all with it in. But hopefully it will have helped with swelling & you’ll be more comfortable. Take care

2 Likes

HOORAY! :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: Now on to the real healing! I hope your recovery goes quickly & smoothly. :hugs:

1 Like

Yeah I couldn’t sleep either both times…every time I went to doze off it would pull when my neck moved and I would wake up to the sharp pain! I’m on day 5 now still really weak and tired but the pain is slowly getting better!

1 Like

That’s good that the pain’s improving…take care of yourself :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you for posting your experience. Sorry to hear you lost your parents.
I hope you’re feeling better soon.
I was wondering if a drain is always placed after surgery? When I spoke with Dr cognetti he did not mention that. Seems that I would have surgery Friday, I could stay in town till Monday and then go home.

1 Like

Dr Cognetti doesn’t put a drain in, not all surgeons do. It does help to reduce swelling, but otherwise if you ice your neck regularly- not directly on the incision- & keep half upright as much as possible it’ll help. If you can get a wedge pillow that’ll help, or sleep in a recliner.

1 Like

Thanks Jules,
I do have an adjustable bed. It sounds like it will come in handy!

3 Likes