Opinions on my scans and images please

Hi @BlacknBlueSaint I won’t comment on narrowing on transverse sinuses and vertebral artery as you already know them. Also, as @GCD indicated you already have IJV compression by the Styloid and C1 so I won’t expand on that as it is covered by @GCD. I think you are suffering from what is known as Carotid Artery Entrapment by the Hyoid Bone. This is when the Hyoid bone is located between the bifurcation (branching into ICA & ECA) of the Carotid Arteries. Your right hyoid bone appears to be rubbing your Carotid artery separation and potentially could be causing your blackout (syncope) symptoms when you lie down. You will need to have this addressed as soon as possible as it is linked to strokes. The hyoid moves each time you swallow so if it keeps hitting the Carotid bifurcation, it will eventually damage it causing dissection or occlusion. I also believe the right hyoid tip is also irritating the nerve fibers on the carotid sinus/body as well as branches of Vagus nerve and glossopharyngeal nerve causing your swallowing issues, Lump in throat feeling (globus sensation), strangulation sensation…etc

Here is where the damage could be happening. You can see the slight dent on the ECA (Red arrow). This could be the result of a repeated hitting/rubbing of the Hyoid bone.

Here are axial and Coronal CT slices showing Hyoid bone in the Caortid bifurcation. Carotid bifurcation (Red arrow), ICA (Yellow arrow), ECA (Green arrow) and Hyoid tip (Cyan arrow). You need to address this as it is more critical than the IIH issue.

Here are the 3D rendering of right Hyoid bone tip in the Carotid bifurcation. Carotid bifurcation (Red arrow), ICA (Yellow arrow), ECA (Green arrow) and Hyoid tip (Cyan arrow).

Here is the internet images to show you the nerves around this area. I am pretty sure the hyoid bone is irritating them.

One of my Canadian colleague (@CJsBattle) is now expert on this as he suffers from it as well and is awaiting for surgery to trim the hyoid bone. You might want to discuss this with him as he has read a lot of literature on it and is up-to-date on this particular issue.

Also, I have commented on similar cases before. You can find them links below, if you need more info.

Here are the symptoms of Carotid and other nerves involved in your case

Source : https://emergeortho.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/1-s2.0-S2468781220301399-main-2.pdf

7 Likes