Second day after surgery

I meant to post sooner, but I slept a little more yesterday. The first day I’d had a migraine, not sure if I’d mentioned that. Yesterday my head didn’t hurt so bad but the nausea was still pretty awful. That combined with not much sleep the day of and day after surgery, I laid down more and slept. Talking is still a little difficult, my tongue is kinda swollen so it makes it hard for everyone to understand me all the time and it hurts anyway so I try not to talk too much. I have a saline spray and also decongestant spray for my nose from the sinus surgery. I have been tryin to make sure I use those cause if not I get stuffed up and have to breathe thru my mouth and that makes it more dry and harder to swallow. The nausea kinda comes and goes, throat still hurts about the same, still using ice packs off and on… I’ve had water, gatorades, popcycles, jello and pudding so far, but just now am having a little ice cream for something different. Yesterday I also started feeling hungry. My kids started talkin about different foods and it all sounded good, guess that’s a good sign. Im just no where near ready to eat solid foods yet. My mouth will only open so far when I spoon jello and such into it so definelty not ready to try to chew anything anyway. It doesn’t hurt to open it, I thougt it would be sore afterward as I have TMJ also, but it just feels like I’m stretchin it to open further than it wants to go. I was able to get up and get a quick shower a little bit ago, that should also help me feel better. It’s the first one I’ve had since surgery.

Thanks for the update. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Did they give you anything for the nausea? What pan meds did they give you to take? Hope today will be a good day for you!!!

I believe they told me it was Vicodin with Tylenol, the bottle says Hydroco/Apap 5-325 mg, also says its generic for Norco 5-325. Just the pain pill, which I’m to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I been taking 1 every 3-4 hours as the first night I was havin panic attacks with the full dosage. Also my antibiotic which is a generic for Augmenting, and my saline spray and decongestant for my nose. I think the pain pill somewhat contributes to the nausea also, I seem to have more after I’ve taken it. I’ve never done real well with pain pills, always give me some sort of side effect that I can’t take the full dose.

Me too. I don't do well with them either. Is it enough to keep the pain level low? If you had to swallow a pill would you be able to do so? You may try nausea meds to see if that would help. I can't really say that would work but it might be worth a try.

Redirish98 said:

I believe they told me it was Vicodin with Tylenol, the bottle says Hydroco/Apap 5-325 mg, also says its generic for Norco 5-325. Just the pain pill, which I'm to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I been taking 1 every 3-4 hours as the first night I was havin panic attacks with the full dosage. Also my antibiotic which is a generic for Augmenting, and my saline spray and decongestant for my nose. I think the pain pill somewhat contributes to the nausea also, I seem to have more after I've taken it. I've never done real well with pain pills, always give me some sort of side effect that I can't take the full dose.

Some pain meds and the ice packs I think is helping keep it tolerable. I can swallow the pain pulls they are small enough. But my antibiotic I use a pill crusher and put it in pudding or this mornin I started using ice cream. Getting tired of pudding and jello already but there’s not a lot I can do about it. Thought about trying some broth today, they said not real hot with the hot fluids, just warm. Also thought about a milkshake using soymilk and some peanut butter, both to get a little protein, thought it might be helpful with the energy level.

Maybe try boost or ensure I think that might help. I have heard to stay away from dairy as it causes mucus backup...don't know if that is true. See your inbox.

Redirish98 said:

Some pain meds and the ice packs I think is helping keep it tolerable. I can swallow the pain pulls they are small enough. But my antibiotic I use a pill crusher and put it in pudding or this mornin I started using ice cream. Getting tired of pudding and jello already but there's not a lot I can do about it. Thought about trying some broth today, they said not real hot with the hot fluids, just warm. Also thought about a milkshake using soymilk and some peanut butter, both to get a little protein, thought it might be helpful with the energy level.

I’ve heard something about that, that’s why I put off the ice cream at first. And I don’t think my soymilk has dairy product which is why I’d use it instead of milk, not sure I’ll have to check. I just wanted something a little more filling and different for a change, probably won’t do a lot of ice cream, just when I’m sick of everything else :wink: