Surgeon update

Seen Dr Ondrey today, very nice guy, much better than the last one, still doesn’t really believe in jugular compression so wants me to get my ears checked out for dizziness, but he does do external surgery, the styloid,s have to be a certain length for him to operate but he’s willing to take a look, and he only takes them back to 2.5cm so there’s a chance of regrowth, but he’s the only surgeon in the area that I can find to even consider it and I think I’m willing to take the risk, what do you all think???

1 Like

It’s a dilemma; sometimes the styloids can compress the jugular veins very close to the skull base (mine both were), so just shortening the styloids to 2.5cms may not be enough to alleviate your jugular compression. Have you had a CT with contrast? It might be possible to see where the compression is…Does he do surgery externally or intra-oral? The note we have by his details in the Doctors List is that he usually does intra-oral, but if you have jugular compression it would be safer to have external surgery as there’s better visibility.
My personal thoughts are that for you it would be worth trying to see someone else; I appreciate that it’s probably really hard to travel, but it would be awful to go through surgery only for it not to be enough to help you, & for you to be no better off. Difficult, will pray that you make the right decision, & hopefully others can chip in with their thoughts. :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

I had a ct done last Christmas but he wants a new one done in the next few weeks to see if it’s going to help or not and thankfully he does do external surgery, so I will wait to see what the scan shows and what he decides before I decide, traveling is not the issue it’s my insurance that won’t cover out of state

1 Like

I’m glad Dr. Ondrey has requested an updated CT scan. When you get the new scan, ask for it to be done w/ contrast & with your head in the position that makes your symptoms worse (if there is a position that does that) as that will better show jugular compression. You can also request that your scan be read looking for jugular compression as well as elongated styloids. You will need to ask Dr. Ondrey to make those requests as the radiology clinic won’t do them without doctor request.

I hope if the radiologist notes you have IJV compression that Dr. Ondrey will take your situation more seriously.

2 Likes

I had a venogram done that clearly showed jugular compression but Ondrey is not vascular and all he wants to see is a more updated detailed picture of the bones and any calcification, it’s frustrating but at this point i just want the bone out and he does do it externally which I feel is better, and safer for me as when I had my tonsils out they had a hard time stopping the bleeding and I was in hospital for a week, they almost lost me

1 Like

Please discuss how short he intends to cut your styloid. If he can/will remove it past where it compresses the IJV against your C-1 transverse process, there is a much better chance that your IJV will reopen on its own. If he leaves it pressing against C-1 then the jugular compression doesn’t have a chance for recovery. Dr. Samji in San Jose has the same mindset as Dr. Ondrey. Dr. S is an excellent ES surgeon but seems to care less about vanquishing IJV compression than about shortening styloids so he does better w/ non-VES patients.

2 Likes