Surgery June 17 in New York

My surgery is set for June 17th in New York with Drs Costantino and Tobias, they are going to do the right side this time, removing the styloid, moving the blood vessel, taking out the digastric muscle and shaving or removing the nobly bit on my C1, the name of that escapes me right now, lol
Finally got my images I’ll try to include them for you, Costantino thinks that doing the one side should be enough to relieve my remaining symptoms and he’s very positive about this as I’ve had improvement from my other two surgeries, half my left styloid removed and left trifecta for TOS, fingers crossed he is right.
I have to travel to New York from Minnesota for surgery the plane ride is what I’m dreading most, but I got a direct flight no stop overs, hoping that helps, my 17 year old is coming with me to help out, we will make the week before a nice relaxing vacation, as we are stuck there for three weeks as I have to get a pre opp at the hospital that’s doing the surgery, looking for other’s experiences and words of encouragement, Thankyou

you

2 Likes

I hope getting the right side done will improve your symptoms even more, and glad that you’ve been able to arrange surgery with Dr C! Having a vacation beforehand will hopefully take your mind off the surgery; there’s been a few discussions about flying after surgery which will hopefully be helpful for your journey home…
Will be praying that all goes smoothly for you :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

@Millymay - Your right styloid is long! Getting your IJV decompressed & the styloid shortened, etc., will hopefully be answer to resolving your remaining symptoms. Your left styloid is notably very thick. Is it causing any IJV compression or only the right side?

The knobbly bit on C1 is the transverse process. Not an easy name to remember. I like knobbly bit better!!

2 Likes

I just had the surgery with Dr. C and Dr. Tobias. Same side and same exact process as you. I experienced really great results right away. It’s like the world is different (in a good way).

I did the surgery in Stamford. The Marriott was a nice hotel close by downtown with lots of stuff to do.

Wishing you all the best with the upcoming surgery.

4 Likes

I have compression on both sides, I also have allot more pain and numbness on the left side it had gone away initially with surgery but has come back again, I just had TOS surgery on the left also so I can see why he wants to start with the right, but I don’t think I’m going to get away with just the one surgery, but the surgeon is hopeful lol
I have a feeling the left is growing again, he did not remove very much on that first surgery

1 Like

@Millymay,

I’m really glad you’re seeing a surgeon who will most likely provide you w/ a surgery that will help your symptoms resolve. I understand that gut feeling that the other side may need to be done as well. Been there, & in my case, it did.

We have seen better results in most of our members who have bilateral IJV compression when both IJVs are decompressed as the circulatory system is circular, & if there’s any point along that route that can’t flow freely, then uncomfy symptoms can result.

2 Likes

I have read your posts with some interest. Particularly, the mention of removal of the digastric muscle. I was very surprised this is being considered as I thought that muscle has a major role in swallowing, speech and even singing (which is my passion). I am curious if the ramifications of its removal was discussed and if anyone else here has had that done and what kind of results did they experience. Thanks for posting and I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

I had my first consultation with Dr. Costantino last week and have the same concern about the posterior digastric removal, he said it’s vestigial. I couldn’t find anything in the literature to support that. Does anyone have any references to that or can speak to their experience of having it removed?

1 Like

@bkerea66 - As You noted, @Chrickychricky, he does remove the posterior digastric muscle. No one has complained about swallowing or vocal issues with it gone & that may be because it is a small part of the group of muscles called the suprahyoid muscles which all work together primarily to help with chewing and swallowing. Perhaps the posterior digastric’s role is insignificant enough that the other muscles in the group have no problem taking over when it’s missing.

The same type of questions have come up about the stylohyoid ligament which is often removed during ES surgery. It plays a small role in swallowing & isn’t missed when it’s removed. The same may apply to the posterior digastric.

@bkerea66 - Here’s an interesting article I found that has good information about the digastric muscle but doesn’t help answer whether it’s role is vital in the human body though what I speculated above would provide a possible answer for Dr. Costantino’s reasoning for removing it. The article states it sometimes attached to the styloid process which would be another reason he removes it.

Dr. Costantino did decompression surgery for @Barrootz who has put together a YouTube video series about his diagnosis, surgery & recovery which both of you may find encouraging.

2 Likes