Surgery scheduled

My surgery has been scheduled for December 15. I am a nervous wreck now. I am unsure now. I have a couple of questions. They are telling me it is an outpatient procedure. Has anyone else had this done as an outpatient procedure? I haven't been given much information at all. The dr. told me he was going to try and do intraoral (sp?) and if he couldn't get it bc of my tonsils still being intact then he would have to stop and do the other route. Please any insight here would be helpful. I am panicking now.

Oh and I left out that they said I would only be out of work for two weeks? Will I really be able to return to work in two weeks?

I would like to offer advice, but I am new to this too and have a lot of questions too. I wish you the best of luck and will be thinking of you!!

I just had my surgery yesterday, it was outpatient. I still had my tonsils so he explained he would remove them in order to get to the styloid process. He only ended up removing the left one as the styloid was only elongated on that side and that tonsil was in bad shape. The other tonsil was fine and he didn’t want to cut more than necessary. I’m only taking 2 weeks off work on FMLA. However, I’ll only be back to work a few days and we will be having our holiday shut down for about a week and a half. Don’t know if that helps you at all, if you have other questions I can try to answer for you, just let me know.

Wow, how are you doing? What method did he use to remove your tonsil? I am looking at this same process so I am just curious how you are making out so far. I wish you the best!!! I just saw your daily post. Thanks for the update.

Redirish98 said:

I just had my surgery yesterday, it was outpatient. I still had my tonsils so he explained he would remove them in order to get to the styloid process. He only ended up removing the left one as the styloid was only elongated on that side and that tonsil was in bad shape. The other tonsil was fine and he didn't want to cut more than necessary. I'm only taking 2 weeks off work on FMLA. However, I'll only be back to work a few days and we will be having our holiday shut down for about a week and a half. Don't know if that helps you at all, if you have other questions I can try to answer for you, just let me know.

The styloidectomies are almost always outpatient. Three of my four were outpatient. I spent the night in the hospital for the one at the Cleveland Clinic because I was there alone.

I went back to work two weeks after my surgeries and I was fine. I think I could have gone back sooner, but I went ahead and took the time I had scheduled.

Isiah 40:31 has just had her's done as an outpatient, and lived to tell the tale! It sounds a bit worrying that he might stop and try another route though, especially as an outpatient. How much experience has your surgeon got?

Most are outpatient, but they kept my son overnight for one night because he was a child. If he were an adult, he probably would have gone home. If you don't want to have to go through the pain of both intro-oral and potentially external, you can request he just do the external. Based on others comments and our experience here, the external is a quicker recovery. My son was better the next day with both surgeries, but it took 2 weeks the first time so he could eat, speak and have all the swelling gone. The second surgery recovery took less than 2 weeks and he went to school but did too much and now has post surgical complications. Even if you feel good, like my son did, I would recommend 2-3 weeks to just relax. If you have to get back to work, 2 weeks at the minimum. Good luck...you will be fine!