Surgery yesterday at musc charleston

Hello everyone! I had my left styloid removed yesterday at MUSC in Charleston, sc. I checked in the hospital at 11:30 a.m. And didn’t get out of there until around 8:30 p.m. My Dr.was excellent and was able to remove mine without removing my tonsil. He told my husband and Mom that he removed about an inch and that is had grown sharp like daggers on it. I was sick from the anesthesia so they had a hard time waking me up. I couldn’t get my pain meds filled last night BC by the time we got back to where I live my drug store was closed so I had to buy some liquid Motrin and I have been trying to drink it until drug store opens this morning. I am having trouble even drinking water. I sure hope this gets better soon. They would have kept me last night BC of me being nauseated from the anesthesia but I told them I was ready to get home I slept pretty good but awake now hurting. Is there anything I can do to speed up the swallowing pain? Like does warm liquids help or feel better or is that a no no? Thanks everyone. Y’all have been so helpful. I will try and keep everyone posted on my progress.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

God Bless, Jules

Thanks Jules

I’m happy to hear your surgery went well and your doctor was good! To help with the throat pain you want COLD. Ice pops, ice cold juices, sorbet (I would stay away from dairy like products such as ice cream and sherbert for the first few days). I forced myself to drink cold diluted apple juice around the clock the first few days. Its good to keep the throat moist in healing. I found it really helpful. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks Krista. I will definitely try the apple juice

You’re welcome. If you like gaterade that is even better because of the electrolytes.

Thanks Julie. They messed up my prescription for my pain meds and only gave me enough for two doses so I am trying to get that straightened out now.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...take care!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.