Two week update with pic

Still alot of swelling around cut but its healing .alot less pressure and head pain. Still have ear and face pain #recovery #eagle symdrome :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

6 Likes

Are you still icing? It does look swollen still, hopefully it’s go down soon, & you’ll be able to massage it once it’s all healed…great that you have less head pressure & pain, the nerves will take a while to settle. Will keep praying for you :pray:

3 Likes

Ty jules. Im working on it

1 Like

Hi, based on my post op experience, if your wound is sealed at surface now (mine was at about 2 weeks) then do consider CICA silicone gel dressing -it has really flattened and calmed my scar down over last 2 days.

In addition for swelling I did find visiting a manual or electro lymphatic drainage expert (for MLD/ELD) did help to move the fluid & start to reduce swelling. I started with about 3 right chins :(. They show you how to use your own hands to help the fluid move. Started MLD with upper body area & then moved to neck & head as pain levels around wound decreased a bit. It was a very gentle treatment. There are some posts on here about MLD I think.

Maybe if it’s too painful now best to wait a bit. Hoping you get a reduction soon in your swelling & your wound heals well for you.

I’m at week 4-5 and am still waiting for neck & venous structures in head to settle. Just keep going :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had most of my swelling trapped above the wound, I think diagonal scar stops fluids moving properly. Unlike blood our lynphatic systems don’t have any pump. So moving skin gently and muscle movements are how to get the fluid moving again more normally. D

Ty Dee,for all the advice . Sounds like your recovery is coming along nice .Where do i get the cica silicone gel dressing ? Thanks agsin Dee

Hi, so I tried to get my online. I think Amazon may sell them. But in UK I ended up going to a very good pharmacy in my area and having them order one in for me the following day. Guess best way depends on where you are in the world. A search online fir CICA Silicone Gel Dressing should get a supplier. I should add my thanks here to Kool Dude who I think gave me this tip in first place. D

2 Likes

@Michael123 - your incision looks so much better than it did at first, but I agree, your neck does still look pretty swollen so ice & head elevation are still key. If your swelling continues to stick around you could ask Dr. Hernandez for a course of prednisone as that would help decrease your swelling.

So glad your symptoms have reduced. :clap:t3::hugs:

1 Like

Speedy healing, dear!!!

1 Like

Ty Pam , Im orig from NY born and raised in the bronx .Have a great day :hugs:.

2 Likes

Very sweet of you to message me while you are recovering from surgery!

Who did your surgery? I’m glad your head feels better and I hope your ear and face and neck will be pain-free or nearly-so asap!!!

2 Likes

Hey pam Ty, I had my surgery done by Dr Hernandez in baton rouge ,la . Hope things are going well for you .

3 Likes

@Michael123 - How are you feeling now that you’re two weeks into recovery?

Hey isaiah Its 3 weeks today My head feels great The swelling coming down slowly ,still sore to even thinking about massaging lol. Still have face and ear pain and problems eating its the jaw any thing. Tart I hit the floor lol

1 Like

Brilliant that your head feels improved, the face & ear pain will take time to improve…hopefully the first bite syndrome pain will go soon!

1 Like

Ty jules, Haha first bite syndome you are right . I didnt even know they had a name for that

1 Like

I can totally relate to your First Bite Syndrome pain, @Michael123! It is a common problem after surgeries in the neck where ES surgery is done. It’s caused by the parotid gland (your largest salivary gland) becoming over-reactive when you first start to eat. My pain would nearly drop me to my knees when it first started. Usually FBS goes away by 3-6 mos post op, but it can linger longer. You will find the pain becomes less intense over time.

One thing that helped mine not be so bad was to drink a lot of water or herb tea during the day (60-80 oz) as that kept my saliva more dilute which seemed to keep the FBS pain at a lower level. I also had to be careful about what I ate for awhile. As you noticed. certain foods can make the pain worse.

2 Likes