Weird symptom

OK DON'T NOW HOW TO START THIS BUT HERE IT GOES !! SOMETIMES WHEN I BURP I GET A WEIRD FEELING LIKE SOMETHING GETS CAUGHT IN THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY THROAT AND POKES MY CERVICAL SPINE THIS HAPPENS IN THE MIDLLE OF MY NECK ALONG THE RIGHT SIDE ALMOST NEAR TO THE THYROID CARTILAGE BUT FELLS LIKE IS DEEP INSIDE UNDER THE STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID!! DOES ANYONE GET THIS ? THANKS!!!

I have similar symptom but not when I burp and a litlle bit higher than the thyroid is I guess, but I,m not sure. I have a wierd feeling that something pokes my cervical spine everytime when I move my head to the right. And It is deep inside, exactly under the sternocleidomastoid. I get dizzy and I'm confused because part of my symptoms are similar to the spine instability symptoms. But definetely I have symptoms almost like this one that you described. (just without burp, but I will check again :) ). I also have clicking and crunching sound, when I move my head, behind my ear, in the neck, precisely under sternocleidomastoid, or maybe sometimes between sternocleidomastoid and trapezius but closer to the first one of those muscles. When I really quick move my head, like I wanted to say no, but really quick move, limply, but fast, whitout any strenght, no tension in neck muscles, I hear like one bone pokes the other, I don't know what it is but it must be my elongated styloid because I have one on the right side. The only confusion I have is that it might be the instabilty of cervical spine that is not visible on the MRI or CT Scan because it is funcional, only in motion. That's why I have to do Digital Motion Xray. If that will be fine it's definetely elongated styloid.

This is exactly the type of pain that has dominated the last 5+ years of my life. I describe it as a "knife in my throat". Sneezing certainly triggers it, but it is almost always there. However, I don't feel like it is poking my cervical spine as much as my larynx, specifically my thyroid cartilage. There is a doctor in Utah who discusses cases where a damaged/elongated hyoid bone "catches" on the ala of the thyroid, and this can lead to pain. When it gets bad, I personally can obtain temporary relief by (I know, kinda gross) sticking my finger under my tongue at the far back of my mouth by my tonsillar crypt and pushing downward. Something shifts, and the pain is diminished. The feeling of "something caught in the right side of my throat" is pretty constant though. I have some theories, but no way to test them. Incidentally (or not!), I also have a large, right sided thyroid nodule. Good luck :)

Hi guys. I have had all those symptoms and excruciating pain. Can only suggest you don’t prolong the agony and anxiety - have CT scan. If elongated calcified stylo hyoid process confirmed HAVE SURGERY. There is no other way to treat Eagle’s Syndrome. Cardiac symptoms should be diagnosed and treated separately - also thyroid. I have nodules on my thyroid but not dangerous or related to styloid. Since surgery to both sides symptom free. Bless you.

flyingeagle can I ask how long your styloids measured on the ct scan ? I had a CT scan 3 months ago and the radiologist reported that my right styloid measures 4.8 cm and right side 3.5 cm ,after that I asked for a copy of my scan and used a free program downloaded from the internet to see everything in 3d and I could see the bones very clear like 2 fangs ! so if you have a copy of your scans you can use this software ! it's amazing and very easy to use ! here is the link if you want to download it http://svn.softwarepublico.gov.br/trac/invesalius

I finally had surgery for both sides. Before my drs took CTs, I used to have the click, catch and cough thing. A frozen spasm and pains. Part of the time up toward the roof of my mouth or ear. I would stick my finger back there and make myself gag. As it got worse, the lump would stay in the backside of my throat.

After several shots to stop the nerve pain and the CTs, the dr. agreed it was Eagles. I had to have two surgeries for SCDS (skull repair for holes) before I could have the Eagles, they were more serious; the CT scans showed the holes AND the Eagle's. The drs. had to know what they were looking for.