Can it come back after surgery?

I had my surgery a year ago. Had my left tonsil and styroid removed. Yesterday my throat was swollen and was hard to swallow anything let alone trying to breath. So i decided to put my finger where it was removed before and there is another sharp lump in my throat. My question is can it come back? Has this happened to anyone before?

Yes it can come back… I Mahdi surgery on my left side in 2011. I am a teacher and caught a cold from my little ones this fall, all of the sudden I had the same kind of pain as before. I found the lump again and scheduled an appointment with my ENT. I was in his office explaining that I thought it was back, he kept saying it can’t grow back. Over and over. I finally asked him to feel the lump and tell me what he thought it was, as he was feeling in my throat he kept saying it can’t come back, then he touched the lump and said “oh my, it is back!”. I had a ct done a a week later and sure enough the left side is elongated again! I am having surgery again on Thursday and I am terrified this thing will come back again! The styloid is visible in my throat and food keeps getting stuck when I swallow. This time the doc wants to be more aggressive and he wants to take my tonsil out too. I am worried about the whole thing!

Thanks so much for your reply and good luck and God Bless you on your surgery day!!! I lived with eagles for 13 years When I was 10 was diagnosed with chronic headaches. Finally last August I became very very sick and when I was throwing up it felt like a piece of chicken bone was stuck in my throat. I was then told by one ent its possible I have a tumor in my throat, then did a CAT scan and MRI of my head and throat, came back negative and seeked out another ent
as soon as he saw my Xrays he knew exactly what was wrong (this is after my primary care doctor hospital and last ent thought i was crazy) Had my surgery November 5th 2013. At Good Sam Hospital here in Arizona. Surgery went great and then I just had the stomach flu last week and was throwing up and having the chicken bone feeling again. So I felt it again, this time its not hard at all just feels like a soft bump. Im gonna call me ent after the holidays and see if it gets any harder, never thought it would come back! I am scared to have surgery again because last time it was one hell of a recovery!!!
Jenna said:

Yes it can come back... I Mahdi surgery on my left side in 2011. I am a teacher and caught a cold from my little ones this fall, all of the sudden I had the same kind of pain as before. I found the lump again and scheduled an appointment with my ENT. I was in his office explaining that I thought it was back, he kept saying it can't grow back. Over and over. I finally asked him to feel the lump and tell me what he thought it was, as he was feeling in my throat he kept saying it can't come back, then he touched the lump and said "oh my, it is back!". I had a ct done a a week later and sure enough the left side is elongated again! I am having surgery again on Thursday and I am terrified this thing will come back again! The styloid is visible in my throat and food keeps getting stuck when I swallow. This time the doc wants to be more aggressive and he wants to take my tonsil out too. I am worried about the whole thing!

Jenna, that is so scary. How much did they take out the first time? Did they leave some in, or did they try to take it all out?

The doctor said he was trying to be conservative due to carotid artery so he only too 1.5 cm off. This time he said he was going to have to be more aggressive, the ct shows the styloid to be a little over 4 cm, however I can feel that much sticking out in my throat. I am definitely nervous! The surgery center called today the doc is planning on operating for at least an hour on Thursday morning. He is doing the inta-oral approach again because so much of the bone is sticking out in my throat. I felt it today and it actually feels like there is a flesh covered “pipe” sticking
Out of the back wall of my throat, it runs along the bottom of my tonsil bed and the tip is visible right in front of my tonsil. There is no guarantee that this crazy bone won’t come back! This is horrid!!!

I have an appointment with my ent on the 17th of November. Hoping he can give me answers right away like he did last time. Not looking forward to another cat scan and MRI but I will do just about anything to be cured of this. I haven’t smoked a day in my life and I swear when I cough it sounds like I’m coughing up my lungs and my throat feels like its on fire. Hoping of I do have to have surgery tho if will be after the holidays because I had it last year on the 6th of November and thanksgiving was horrid being around all that food and all I could eat was soup. How did your surgery go Jenna? Would like to hear about it