Can the bones move?

So last night I sat up quick in bed with the storm and felt a sudden pain in my neck, it flushed hot and I can feel my pulse rapidly beating on the left side of my neck, at first I thought my jugular vein was pierced, so I got up to take a look and realized my eyesight in my left eye was back to normal, a plus I guess, but it does feel like the styloid shifted and I now have more pressure in my throat area but less in my head, is this possible, anyone else experienced this?

Yes the styloids can move once elongated as part of what calcified is the stylohyoid ligament. Unless you’re calcification extends to your hyoid bone, the ligament remains slightly mobile & thus when neck muscles on one side put pressure on the the elongated styloid it can shift slightly. We have had other members note symptoms changes after certain movements which likely indicates the pressure shifts & different pressure points in the neck are impacted.

1 Like

It’s actually slightly more comfortable so just hope it stays there and doesn’t go back, less pressure in my head is definitely a plus, thank you

2 Likes

They styloid itself will not move relative to the skull. Having felt mine in my hands, I can assure you even the thinnest parts are extremely rigid. But the relationship of the styloid with all of the other softer tissues in the neck can definitely shift around. I think this is why so many people experience sudden onset of ES after chiropractic treatment, before whiplash injury, or something like painting a ceiling.

2 Likes

The onset of my ES began when I did a half push-up in bed turning over quickly and whipping my neck. Immediately, I started getting the sensation of blood flowing in my brain. Next were throbbing headaches, migraines, dizziness, electrical pulses out of my eye and just weird pain in my head. After 2.5 years the only symptom that I am having most of the time is the pulsatile tinnitus along with weird pain in my head. Although the other day I had a new experience EHS Exploding Head Syndrome. Just believe me if you ever had it you will never forget it. I was hoping something in my head or neck had snapped back into place no luck. I’m new here and will be posting some pictures of my styloid process along with Dr. P’s summary. I’m still waiting to hear back from him regarding my options surgery etc.
Bc2

Hopefully they operate soon for you, Thankyou for the information

1 Like

I mentioned I had the angiogram venogram balloon occlusion from Dr. P but originally I had a CT Scan with contrast at a hospital near my house. Then I uploaded the images and went over them with Dr. P through our virtual appointment. Do you think that a 3D CT SCAN with reconstruction would be a smart test or necessary to get prior to surgery? I’m leaning that way and would probably feel more confident.

Thanks for clarification, @coldbear. I know the styloids can’t move but soft tissues around them can. I misspoke.

@Bc2 -

You shouldn’t need to get another CT scan. A competent radiologist or radiology tech should be able to generate 3D images from your existing scan. You can contact the lab where the scan was taken to request this. Some labs are willing to make 3D images post scan & others are not. Forewarned is fore-armed!

There is free software online for converting your CT scan to 3D images: https://www.radiantviewer.com
We also have a post on our forum that describes how to do this though it’s an older post & may have some obsolete info in it. Making Your Own 3D Images from CT Scan- 3D Slicer Tutorial

2 Likes

In theory and perhaps in practice the styloid processes can break and heal at a new angle, kind of “shifting” over the time.

1 Like

This was something else I considered is that maybe it broke

1 Like

I wish mine would break off
I feel the tip of the right one when the head is in neutral position, once I engage 1st gear and look up to the heavens, the S/p moves up away from the finger carving it’s way through flesh
If I engage reverse gear and look down , it pops back down like an elevator, 1st floor , men’s department
The left does its own thing, I can’t find him :face_with_monocle:
So I hired a private detective, and he followed me around for a few days, he can’t find it either
Head rolls off the pillow in n the night, despite all efforts to keep head in place, v shaped pillow, c shape, a shape w shape ratchet straps, a wooded box, and still head wobbles off in the night
Wake up blind, half temporarily paralinguistic and a pain like I have my head in the Jaws 1 movie
I spend a lot of time looking up under neath trucks and heavy plant
The least mobile the head the better
I have tried to snap the right one as occasionally it pushes into the throat
It alters the tinnitus pitch in the right ear
I have notes E, A C D flat
I have a built in musical instrument in my head
I can’t believe the diameter of it, or how strong it seems to be
Another 10mm and it will be pocking touching the skin under the jaw
If it snaps in the right place, all I need do is pull it out like pulling a pen out a pocket
They move around, don’t trust them, you can have it easy today, but tomorrow they stab u in the (back) neck :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Ps
I want my bones to move to America, or Australia, even France will do

4 Likes

I think we’re all wishing that for you, optimistic! The Canadians on here will agree that they have it bad, I think Ireland’s on a par, if not even worse! Thinking of you…

5 Likes

Thanks Jules, I appreciate it, a letter arrived today and I have an appointment for the end of June to see a pain medicine doctor, so I think steroid injections are in the pipeline, oral steroids daily are helping, and I am managing hard work, keeping my job and paying bills so it could be worse

4 Likes

Lol that’s funny but so true, I swear everyone was micky mouse for a week, my hearing goes wonky, my eye sight disturbed, definitely feel like my head is in a vice, I walk like I’m drunk, can’t wait to get the little things removed

2 Likes