ES Information: Common Symptoms And Possible Explanations For Them

Post deleted by author

Thank you so very much for this information! I am glad it got bumped. Boy do I relate to most of that! I have a very sensitive body to boot.

What dr did you see? I just want to go to someone who it’s familiar with all of es abd hyoid bone syndrome. I’m exhausted and I’m tired I just want to go see someone who’s actually going to do something and help. I don’t even care where it is I’m in Southern California I will make it there wherever it is.

Okay I see you had the doctor in San Jose. I’m calling him tomorrow.

kmcgrsha,

Dr. Samji, whom I saw, is the most experienced ES doctor on our Doctors’ List. I don’t know if he’s ever diagnosed hyoid bone syndrome. If you get a second nod away from ES, Dr. Karuna Dewan at Stanford has done hyoid bone surgery for one of our members who didn’t end up having ES. She would be another resource for you.

1 Like

Thank you you’re amazing. Always helping me out. But what exactly is the difference between the two.

1 Like

ES is elongation of the styloid process(es) which is actually calcification of the stylohyoid ligament. The s-h ligament runs from the tip of the styloid processes to the lesser horns of the hyoid bone. The hyoid bone also has two greater horns. Hyoid bone syndrome arrises from the greater horns becoming elongated or thickening such that the hyoid bone loses some of it’s movement & begins to press on some of the same nerves that elongated styloids &/or calcified s-h ligaments irritate.

The hyoid bone can also become “tethered” by calcified stylohyoid ligaments. Under normal conditions it moves freely up & down & a little side to side when we swallow, talk, laugh, cough, sneeze, breathe, etc. When it loses the ability to move as it needs to, pain results.

Here are some internet pictures to help you visualize these areas:

Click on the box w/ the question mark & the link for the hyoid bone picture should open. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

1 Like

Thank You
Thank You
Thank You :cry:

1 Like